Ragdale is a non-profit artists’ community located on architect Howard Van Doren Shaw’s country estate in Lake Forest, IL, 30 miles north of Chicago. In 1976, Shaw’s granddaughter, Alice Judson Hayes, transformed her family’s summer home into an artist's retreat to provide time and space for artists to create important new work.
Today, Ragdale annually hosts nearly 200 visual artists, writers, composers, and interdisciplinary artists at all stages of their careers for 18-25 day residencies, making it one of the largest interdisciplinary artist communities in the country. Ragdale offers a retreat setting where at any given time, a dozen creative individuals experience uninterrupted time for dedicated work, a supportive environment, family-style dinners, and dynamic artist exchanges within a backdrop of 50 acres of idyllic prairie.
CREATIVE SABBATICALS PROVIDE A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY TO TACKLE A CREATIVE PROJECT IN A SUPPORTIVE ENVIRONMENT.
Creative Sabbaticals are one- to three-week residencies tailored for people who may or may not be creative professionals, but who are interested in pursuing a creative project in an environment without distractions. Participants pay $1,500 per week and have access to all that Ragdale has to offer, including a live/work studio, all meals, and interaction with other creative professionals. A special jury reviews proposals and work experience. Applications are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.
Creative Sabbaticals take place during a scheduled residency session and follow the residency calendar. The dates listed below do not reflect availability.
2017 RESIDENCY sessions
1. January 9-27 (18 days)
2. January 30- February 17 (18 days)
3. February 27-March 17 (18 days)
4. March 27-April 14 (18 days)
5. May 1-19 (18 days)
6. May 22- June 9 (Ragdale Ring Residency, closed to residents)
7. June 19- July 14 (25 days)
8. July 24-August 18 (25 days)
9. August 28- September 15 (18 days)
10. October 2-20 (18 days)
11. October 23- November 17 (25 days)
12. November 20- December 15 (25 days)
1. Must arrive on Monday and depart on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
2. 3PM check-in and 10AM check-out.
3. Minimum stay of 4 days, maximum of 25 days.
4. Creative Sabbatical fee is $1,500 for 7 days. The fee is prorated to the number of days spent in residence.
For more information please contact Amy Sinclair, Grants & Admissions Manager.