For an 3-7 day residency in 2019 for a collaborative group of 3-13 artists, apply by May 15, 2018
Ragdale hosts nearly 200 artists each year. Ragdale encourages applications from artists representing the widest possible range of perspectives and demographics, and to that end, emerging as well as established artists are invited to apply. While there are no publication, exhibition or performance requirements for application, applicants should be working at the professional level in their fields.
Ragdale encourages artists of all backgrounds to apply, and does not discriminate against anyone on the basis of age, disability, gender, origin, race, religion, or sexual orientation.
All applicants submit electronic materials through the Submittable application portal. Only one application per collaborative group is required. Please note the following requirements to complete your application:
- A completed online application form.
- Two current letters of reference OR surveys completed by people
who know you personally and can address your professional capacity and
suitability for a residency in a working community with other artists.
Reference letters and survey responses are confidential and are submitted electronically through Submittable when you submit your application. Letters of reference/ Reference Surveys are due 11:59 PM CST June 1, 2018. A 10-15 minute survey option has been added. Instructions for completing the survey or letter of recommendation will be automatically sent to your references when you submit your application.
- A one-page artist’s statement and work plan explaining your work and what your group plans to do while in residence.
- A CV or resumé that summarizes your professional background per group member (one page per group member, all pages must be saved to one document)
- Work samples that show previous work from the past 2-3 years. All media is acceptable. Most electronic file types and sizes are accepted.
Applications are reviewed by Ragdale’s Curatorial Board and staff. Evaluations of work are based on the following criteria:
- Work sample and statement show evidence of original, inventive and exciting new work.
- Work sample demonstrates quality, technical proficiency, and is professionally presented.
- Artists' statement and resumé show evidence that the applicant’s work is reflective of continued, serious, and exceptional aesthetic investigation in the chosen medium.
- Work plan demonstrates that the artists will maximize the benefits of a residency at Ragdale.
- References reflect the artists' ability to work well in an artist community.
You will be notified of your admission status via email one month after the application deadline, approximately mid- August, 2018.
A $35 daily fee applies to each overnight participant (meals and private room provided).
A $25 daily fee applies to each daytime participant (meals provided).
For further assistance, please email Amy Sinclair or phone 847.234.1063, ext. 28.
May 15, 2018: Residency Application Deadline
June 1, 2018: Reference Letters Deadline
Mid August, 2018: Residency Notification